One of the most beautiful cities in Europe is called the” Pearl of the Danube”. The birth of Budapest occurred in 1873 due to the unification of the cities of Pest, Obuda, Buda. In ancient times, the settlements of Aquink and Kontrakvink developed in their place. Now 8 openwork bridges across the rapid Danube connect parts of the wonderful city, which has preserved numerous historical monuments. Despite the fact that in the XIII century it was completely destroyed by the Mongol-Tatar conquerors. The rich heritage includes architectural richness, a miracle created by nature: in the form of 120 thermal springs with healing mineral water. On their basis, 15 water complexes were created that ensure the city’s status as a resort. At any time of the year, numerous museums, galleries, and theaters offer interesting events. While traveling here, you want to see everything, but this is impossible. What to see in Budapest in 1 day will tell you the information from the article.
St. Matthias Church

The Gothic masterpiece is located on one of the most beautiful squares in the city. The cathedral is part of the architectural complex of the Buda Palace and is located between the Fisherman’s Bastion and Holy Trinity Square. This church hosted the coronation ceremonies of monarchs from the Habsburg dynasty. There were legends about it, and even the Turks did not destroy the unique building (they painted over the frescoes), erected in the XIII century.
The multi-colored roof, original architecture, built on a harmonious combination of Gothic and Art Nouveau, the gate on the main facade, the rosette window and the famous bell tower of Matthias create an attractive appearance of the church. Nearby is a miniature model for the blind. Inside, the church is decorated with rich stained glass windows reflecting scenes from the Bible, carved ornaments made of wood.
Two elements have been preserved, built around 1260: the columns at the Bela Tower. On their tops, you can see the figures of monks and demonic animals. At the bottom is an ancient baptistery, a baptismal font. On the north wall there are chapels, sarcophagi of King Bela III, his wife, Saint Istvan. Under this chapel is a gallery that houses the Museum of Religious Art.
Fishing Bastion

The famous landmark of the country looks like a square surrounded by a gallery. It is 10 m long and 8 m wide. There are 7 conical towers along the gallery. They are a symbol of the tribes that founded Hungary. The construction of the Fisherman’s Bastion (a beautiful snow-white structure) took place according to the project of architect Friedjes Schulek from 1899 to 1905. The bastion has never served as a defensive structure. From the point of view of architecture, it was created as a backdrop for the church of Matthias, but then it became a popular attraction.
Previously, there was a fish market in Holy Trinity Square. Around it was a fortress wall, which served as a protection for fishermen in the Middle Ages. The new bastion appeared during the reconstruction of the Royal Palace in honor of the millennium of Hungary. From the observation deck of the Fisherman’s Bastion, tourists can enjoy beautiful views of the river, Pest (especially from the main tower of Hiradas). During the construction of the bastion, some secrets hidden under the Buda Hill were discovered: tunnels, passages.
Guests of the city are invited to visit the underground chapel of St. Michael. It has a 3D cinema that shows interesting films about the history of Hungary. It is convenient to get to Rybatsky Bastion by buses 16, 16A, 116.Take the stone staircase leading almost to the Danube.
Royal Palace

The historical center of the city was formed in the XIII century. Beginning with King Bel IV of Hungary, the royal residence was located in Buda Castle, which rises on the right bank of the Danube. The castle was repeatedly destroyed, restored and continued to witness historical events in the country. The last reconstruction was carried out from the end of the IXX to the beginning of the XX centuries. The new Palace is one of the most beautiful buildings in the country. After the Habsburgs left in 1920, it became the residence of Horthy Miklos.
Now the facade of the majestic architectural structure stretches along the Danube embankment for 300 m. In the evenings, it sparkles with thousands of lights that are reflected in its stormy waters. On the territory of the palace there is a library, the Budapest History Museum, the National Gallery, where a rich collection of unique works by artists of the country is collected. There are also numerous statues, fountains, gates, and other elements of the palace’s decoration.
Next to them, legends come to life from ancient times: associated with the appearance of the bronze bird turul, the statue of the commander of Savoy, etc. Near the castle there are annual festivals, holidays (crafts, beer, wine). It is possible to reach the top of the hill by bus routes and by the Sciclo funicular.
Buda Labyrinth

This is the name of the caves of Budapest, accessible to tourists. The route through them is not a tricky maze: this is a circular tourist path with several dead ends and signs for returning to the main route. The last restoration of the labyrinth took place in 2013. The creation of unique caves and catacombs at a depth of 16 km in the city center (under the Royal Palace and residential area) belongs to natural forces. Archaeologists have confirmed the existence of natural dungeons over 500 years ago.
Gradually, they were settled down for housing, wine cellars, prisons, and a military hospital. New halls, passages, and underground vaults appeared. The total length of the maze is 1200 m. Some places are available for visiting. They represent a modern version of the museum with installations reflecting the historical events of the country and its mythology. Wax figures in old clothes, rock paintings, furniture of different times.

Prison shackles, a stone coffin, a tombstone marked “Dracula”, etc. All exhibits are contemporary works. There are no historical artifacts in the maze. The maze is illuminated by green lamps that look like kerosene springs. There are places where it’s always dark. For the safety of travel, special ropes are laid along the walls and arches of caves. The entrance to the caves is located in the basement of 9 “Uri utca”street.
Erzhebet Bridge

The modern suspension bridge is built on the site of a beautiful structure named after the Empress Elizabeth of Bavaria (known as Sisi). Its grand opening took place in October 1903. Until 1926, the bridge was considered the longest single-span bridge in the world. It had 4 road lanes and two sidewalks. Since 1914, trams began to move across the bridge. In 1934, the beautiful chain bridge was completely blown up by retreating German troops. The new bridge was built according to the requirements of modern technologies and materials. It became a suspension bridge for road transport.
It reconnected the two banks of the Danube in November 1964. The bridge is almost 379 m long and about 28 m wide. It is 10 m wider than the previous structure, but much lighter. On the asphalt-concrete surface there are 6 lanes for cars, two sidewalks with a width of 4.75 each. The bridge has strong metal fences with a simple pattern. It is clearly visible from the top of Gellert Hill. The project of a specialist from Japan was used to light the bridge. During national holidays, it is illuminated with the colors of the Hungarian flag.
Mount Gellert

The picturesque hill was the center of Buda wine production in the 18th century. Its slopes were decorated with numerous vineyards, and at the very top lurked calvaria. Here were made ritual processions of residents during the holidays in honor of the Resurrection of Christ. The area was named after the Catholic Saint Gerard Sagredo Gellert, who was executed by pagans. He was thrown from the mountain into the water in a barrel with nails. According to ancient legends, witches used to come here for the sabbath. After the suppression of the unsuccessful uprising of 1850, the government decided to create a defensive fortress-citadel on the top of the mountain.
It became one of the first attractions in the country. Not far from the walls of the citadel stands a huge 40-meter statue of Liberty: a figure of a woman with a palm branch on her raised hands. Now this composition (the figure of the liberator warrior was removed from the ensemble in the early 90s) is dedicated to the heroes of the Hungarian people. The mountain rises above the city. From a height of 235 meters, you can enjoy the most beautiful views of the two banks of the Danube.
Gellert Baths

The famous hill is famous not only for its historical past, beautiful landscape, unique viewing platforms, but also for valuable underground storerooms. Here are hidden the famous healing springs, on the basis of which one of the 13 active baths of the city was built. The building, built in the Art Nouveau style at the beginning of the XX century, resembles a fairy-tale palace. It is very easy to imagine yourself as a king resting in the streams of healing streams.

There is a legend that once a hermit lived here in a cave, healing from many diseases. Ancient stucco molding, dome, interior decoration with stained glass windows complement these magical dreams. The atmosphere of luxury reigns in any room of the bath. Anyone is allowed to plunge into it. Practically all existing types of medical services are available in the bathhouse.
There is a Finnish sauna, steam baths, women’s and men’s thermal baths. In summer, there are 13 swimming pools (10 are under the roof) with water of different temperatures (5 in winter). An open-air wave pool with a Turkish design is available for aquaerobics in summer. There is a sitting pool with a depth of about 1 meter and filled with water from T 36Adres: Kelenhegyi ut 4.
Freedom Bridge

This is the name of the new Franz Josef Bridge. It connected the Customs and Jury Squares. The former bridge is considered an example when the project, all stages of production were made by specialists of their own country. At this time, the era of iron structures began. Technologies have made it possible to create steel and iron from blast-furnace cast iron for elements of bridges of any type (chain, hanging, arched). In place of wooden structures came frame structures made of reliable iron. They made it possible to realize the architects ‘ dream: to create an economical, beautiful, simple ensemble.
The powerful bridge frame was manufactured at the factory of the Royal Hungarian Railways. After the explosion of the central part of the building in 1945, the bridge was completely restored. His second birth occurred in August 1946. It was the first bridge restored after the war. The next reconstruction of the architectural structure was completed in 2009. Now the bridge is considered one of the most beautiful buildings in Europe. It is decorated with original cast iron casting. Figures of the mythical bird turula, the crown of the first ruler of the country, are fixed on high supports.
Central Market

The decision to build a large convenient park for residents appeared almost immediately after the birth of the city. Numerous small markets did not meet the needs of the population. At the same time, in 1897, 4 more large places for trade opened together with it. The central market building was built in accordance with the project of Hungarian architect Samuel Pez.
Modern constructions with original openwork elements, created according to the latest engineering ideas, made it possible to create a unique image of the building. The neo-Gothic building with its beautiful corner towers and colorful ceramic tiles quickly became a local landmark. A wide range of products attracted residents and guests of the city to shop here. You can buy any product located on two floors here.
For short-term rest, lunch is offered to use the services of a cafe, restaurant. The market is located at the end of Vaci Street, next to the Freedom Bridge. It is open 6 days a week. Day off on Monday. You can easily get to the central market by public transport. The largest number of visitors is observed in the morning hours of Saturday.
Vaci Street

In the central area of the city, the most important pedestrian zone runs from Vereshmarti Square to Customs Square (Fevam). People walk on it, make purchases, go to the Central market of the city. The length of the street is the same as that of Moscow’s Arbat (1200 m). Vaci Street runs parallel to the embankment. Numerous shops, salons, shopping centers, cozy cafes, restaurants, sparkling hotels are located along its entire length. It houses the original boutiques of the world’s fashion giants (Zara, Bershka, C&A, H&M, Benetton).
In the northern part of the street there are large shopping centers of branded porcelain. Small souvenir shops and galleries are located on the southern section of the street. During the walk, you can visit the Istvan Csok Gallery with offers to buy samples of paintings, icons, and sculptures. Not far from the gallery is the Libri book store. It features the country’s largest collection of works in a foreign language.
Lajos Kossuth Square

On the eastern side of the facade of the Parliament building is a large square named after the Hungarian statesman. Monuments to Lajos Kossuth and Ferenczy Rakoczy adorn the square. Previously, this place was a place for unloading ships, and the area was called Stadtischer Auswind Platz. At the end of the XIX century, they began to strengthen the Danube bank at the expense of an ordinary garbage dump. The place received the discordant name of Garbage (Tömőtér) square.
It changed to Parliament Square after the construction of the building in the period 1898-1927. Since 1927, the place has been called by its modern name. At that time, a complex of administrative buildings was formed around it: the Palace of Justice, the building of the Ministry of Agriculture, and the Ethnographic Museum. The complex shape of the square (it includes three rectangles offset from each other) goes around the Parliament building.
In the central part is the Lajos Kossuth Memorial Ensemble, designed by the sculptor Janos Horvath. The equestrian statue of Prince Francis II Rakosi of Transylvania, leader of the 1711 uprising, appeared in 1936. Its pedestal is decorated with the inscription “With God for the Fatherland and freedom”. When descending to the river, it is suggested to see the figure of the poet Jozsef Antal, looking at the Danube. The sculpture was created by Laszlo Marton in 1980.
Shoes on the Danube embankment

Monuments to the lost Jewish population can be seen in many cities around the world. This memorial is among the “Most poignant monuments in the world”. It is very easy to find it: it is located on the embankment next to the Parliament building. The mysterious row of shoes facing the Danube makes you stop, stop talking, and shudder at the memory of the unusual brutality of war.
People were brought to the embankment and executed in an unusual way. Another pariah of residents was tied up in chains of 60 people and shot at the first person. As they fell, they dragged the others with them. At the same time, all the doomed people took off their shoes and left their shoes on the banks of the Danube. 60 pairs of men’s, women’s, and children’s shoes made of stone stretched out like living things along the embankment.
It was as if they had been taken off for a moment, and the owner was about to come ashore. Nearby is a stone bench with inscriptions in three languages: Hebrew, Hungarian, and English. The monument was erected in 2005. Along the cruel chain of shoes, lamps are always lit, flowers are lying. The city has several monuments to the victims of the Holocaust. A tree (a weeping willow symbolizing mourning) is located next to the synagogue. On it there are 700 metal leaves with the names of the victims.
Hungarian Parliament Building

The decision to erect a building on the territory of Pest was made in 1843. The historical events of the country made it possible to implement the conceived idea in 1903. The site was chosen on the eastern coast of the Danube between the ancient bridges of Szechenyi and Margit. The majestic neo-Gothic architectural structure with elements of Oriental architecture is clearly visible from many points of the city. The Parliament is considered the largest building in Hungary. It has 10 small courtyards, 29 staircases, and 691 different rooms. The central dome ends at a height of about 27 m.
Its diameter is 20 m. On both sides there are rooms for parliamentary meetings and conferences. The interior of the inner halls is decorated in the style of the Middle Ages: mosaic panels, stained glass windows, a lot of gilding, sculptures. There are 16 of them only among the dome hall (these are figures of kings, rulers of the country). Since 2000, historical artifacts have been kept here: the power, the crown of St. Stephen, the scepter. Inside is a small museum. A guard of honor dressed in historical uniforms stands in front of the building.
Freedom Square

In the green area of the big square, it is pleasant to relax after walking, admire the buildings of ancient architectural design, listen to stories about the historical events of the country. Freedom Square appeared at the end of the XIX century. Previously, there were barracks, garrisons of military formations of Austria, prisons for political prisoners. Lajos Battiani (leader of the pro-Austrian uprising) was executed at this place.
In 1926, an Eternal Flame was lit on the site of the demolished barracks in honor of their feat. After the Second World War, a monument in honor of the soldiers-liberators from the USSR appeared nearby. On the occasion of the end of the Cold War and the country’s independence, a monument to Ronald Reagan has been erected on the square. The greatest interest is caused by the memorial dedicated to the victims of fascists.
The sculpture group includes a figure of the Archangel Gabriel with a formidable black raven. At the foot of the ensemble are written the names of cities where thousands of Jews died. There are always fresh flowers, photos, and personal belongings of the victims. The square has a rectangular shape with a solemn, beautiful architectural ensemble of historical buildings of the XX century. In the building of the National Bank, guests of the capital are invited to view the exposition of old banknotes, coins and order any of them as a souvenir.
Hungarian State Opera House

The appearance of Budapest is connected with the fusion of three cities, their cultures, histories, and traditions. One of them was opera performances that have been held in Hungary for over 200 years. They were held in the homes of aristocrats. Therefore, the proposal of prominent composers to create an opera house is not surprising. In 1884, the famous theater (it was called the Royal Opera House), created by specialists of the country, was opened. The first operas performed in the presence of Emperor Franz Josef were the Hungarian operas “Laszlo Hunyadi”, “Bank Ban”, a part from the German opera “Lohengrin” by Wagner.
The first work in Hungarian was the opera “The Barber of Seville”, performed in 1844. Musical masterpieces by Verdi, Mozart, Wagner, and Rossini were performed under the arches of the theater. They were performed by famous singers Audrey, Ellinger, singers Derine, Grunge, Holloshi. At various times, Berlioz, Richter, Rubinstein, and Wagner performed the role of conductor. The development of ballet performances in the country is connected with the first production of Bartok’s “Wooden Prince” at the Ballet Theater.

Now the performances of the ballet group of the theater are known in many countries of the world. Since 1853, the orchestra of the theater has become an independent symphony orchestra under the name “Budapest Philharmonic Society”. After a major renovation in 1984, you can visit the magnificent masterpiece of Hungarian architecture (Neo-Renaissance style with Baroque elements), listen to great and talented performers only by pre-booking tickets.
Clotilde’s Palaces

In the historical center of the city, not far from the Erzbet Bridge, there are two residential buildings of original architecture. Currently, residential premises are located on the upper floors of buildings. Below are cafes, shops, boutiques, Budapest Gallery. “Stone twins” for Clotilde (daughter-in-law of Archduke Joseph) appeared in 1902. They guard the entrance to the bridge and are built in the Rococo style with pointed spires pointing high into the sky. The facades of the buildings are decorated with oblong windows, carved arches, numerous bas-reliefs with figures of historical figures of Hungary.
The buildings are completely similar to each other. The project was designed by architects Kalman Girgel and Florish Korb. The main purpose of the buildings was to use them as apartment buildings that bring profit to the family. The owners never lived in them. For the first time in Europe, elevators were installed in buildings, which are becoming fashionable as a technical innovation. The buildings perfectly complement the architectural composition of Sabadshaito Street. They were included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Rudash Bathhouse

The famous bathhouse, built during the Turkish rule. The Ottomans built the luxurious Rudash thermal baths at the foot of Mount Gellert with special baths for the Pasha. They still work today. Under the multi-faceted glass dome, you can not only bask in the warm thermal water, but also enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of the Danube and its surroundings.
For 500 years of its existence, the baths were restored and supplemented, while preserving the original spirit of Turkish procedures. They were originally used by men. Since 1936, women were allowed to visit the baths on certain days (even after the reconstruction of 2005, the days of the day of visiting men were preserved). The modern complex Rudash consists of a bathhouse, swimming pool, wellness area.
It is formed from six thermal pools of different depths and temperatures. The complex includes a sauna, steam room. The water used improves the functioning of the respiratory organs, lowers blood pressure, treats rheumatism, joints, and restores the microflora of the stomach. Water contains a high percentage of calcium, sodium, magnesium, etc. It has been granted the status of therapeutic radioactive water. Visit the Rudash bath is offered to people who do not have restrictions on certain diseases.